2009年12月17日 星期四

[My Students] 005. Paul Modlinski's Comment



I've been meeting with Peter for two months now, trying to find out whether he could compete with Mandarin Training Center teachers at National Taiwan Normal University (which, by the way, is the most renowned one in Taiwan) and... I have to say I was pleasantly surprised.

Peter possesses all the qualities of a great teacher, and, not a bit less important, a friend. He has a deep knowledge of his language, and actually quite in-depth understanding for meanings and usage of words in Chinese (which most of my language exchange partners lack. To teach, one must know both the language and know about the language, Peter has both of those qualities). I've been studying linguistics for 3 years now, and I find Peter's way of explaining things really commendable, as it is both precise and covering a wide range of possible ways to use words and phrases he taught me.

What makes lessons with Peter something I find both worth looking forward and actually helping my Chinese, is the fact that Peter is one of the most driven teachers I've seen in years. Such a genuine passion for teaching and ability to go way out of his way to help his students is an extremely rare combination, a perfect one for a tutor.
On the whole, I really recommend having lessons with Peter, if you're serious about learning the language, he will help you a lot, whether you will only ask him questions or passively let him choose the topics for you. I've been in Taiwan for 6 months now, and I've met a lot of different teachers during my language exchange experience.

Peter definitely is the best so far. And, if you think this whole comment is biased, then simply try Peter out. As far as I know, he offers a number of trial lessons, to see if his style suits you. Take a few of these, and I'm sure that you will find Peter as a good a teacher as I have. That costs you nothing, so go for it.

I'm not Peter's alter ego writing him good reviews, if you still have any doubts, feel free to contact me on my e-mail:

Modlin@autograf.pl

Paul Modlinski